Portofino, Metropolitan City of Genoa, Italy
Portofino is a fishing village on the Ligurian Riviera south-east of Genoa. Pastel-colored houses, exclusive boutiques and restaurants with fish specialties overlook the cobbled Piazzetta overlooking the harbor, where megayachts are docked. A path connects the Piazzetta to Castello Brown, a sixteenth-century fortress with an adjoining museum in which art exhibitions are set up and offers views of the town and the Ligurian Sea.
Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre, Riomaggiore, SP, Italy
The park includes, in addition to the territory of the Cinque Terre (Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso), a portion of the municipalities of Levanto and La Spezia (Campiglia Tramonti). The park can be divided into three parts: the coastal area, the real national park and the marine area, the natural area of the protected harbor. Location of the Cinque Terre national park Characteristic stretch of coastline of the Cinque Terre with the mountains that reach the sea creating a unique coast The Cinque Terre National Park is the only institution in Italy aimed at protecting an anthropized environment and provides, among other things, for the preservation of the dry-stone walls that support the terraces cultivated above the sea. The park protects a coastal area where man has created a stable life of mutual coexistence between himself and nature. The villages and terraces with dry stone walls are immersed in a typically Mediterranean coastal environment where the mountains of the Ligurian Apennines reach the sea, creating a unique environment. The economy that supports the communities that make up the park guarantees the compatibility between the environment and the anthropic system. The Park is crossed, from Riomaggiore to Monterosso, from the 'Sentiero Azzurro' (Cai nº 2) and the highest point is located in Prevo, a tiny fraction of Vernazza, at 208 m. s.l.m.
Baia del Silenzio, Italy
Baia del Silenzio
Simply wonderful. These simple words suffice to describe the Bay of Silence, one of the most evocative beaches of the entire Ligurian Riviera. Anyone should, at least once in their life, experience the feeling of being in this place, naturally silent and dominated by the beauty of crystal clear waters and soft and clear sand. Out of season it is a mystical place, but the ideal is to enjoy the atmosphere at sunrise or sunset. The undines break on the shore, while the Bay of Silence is colored red, orange, yellow, and becomes the romantic place par excellence. This beach can be called magical, because it is only 50 meters from the city of Sestri Levante: the typical colored houses surround the bay making the landscape enchanting, especially in the evening, when the lights embrace the sea.
Abbazia di San Fruttuoso, Via S. Fruttuoso, Camogli, Metropolitan City of Genoa, Italy
Abbazia di San Fruttuoso
The abbey of San Fruttuoso di Capodimonte is a place of Catholic worship located in the bay of the same name in the municipality of Camogli, also called Capodimonte, inside the terrestrial and marine park of Monte di Portofino. The church is the seat of the homonymous parish of the vicariate of Recco-Uscio-Camogli of the archdiocese of Genoa. The abbey is dedicated to St. Fructuosus of Tarragona, bishop and Catalan saint of the third century, whose ashes are preserved at the abbey, where they would have been moved following the Arab invasion of the Iberian Peninsula. The abbey is not reachable by any road artery, but can be accessed only by sea or along two panoramic paths: one that descends from the mountain above Portofino and the other that runs along the coast starting from the bay of Portofino. The abbey overlooks the bathing beach in front. In 1951 the film Il diavolo in conento by Nunzio Malasomma was filmed with Gilberto Govi. In its bay is the famous statue of the Christ of the abyss, placed in 1954 on the seabed and restored in the nineties. Since 1983 the abbey is part of the architectural heritage of the Italian Environment Fund, thanks to the donation of the owners Frank and Orietta Pogson Doria Pamphilj. Periodically there are held classical and light music concerts and other initiatives promoted by the FAI.
Camogli, Metropolitan City of Genoa, Italy
Camogli (Camoggi in Liguria) is an Italian town of 5 332 inhabitants of the metropolitan city of Genoa in Liguria. Typical fishing village, a tourist center known for its small port and its colorful buildings along the seafront. It is also called the "City of the thousand white sailing ships". Its inhabitants, the Camogliesi, by local tradition are sometimes called camoglini, following the Ligurian camoggin model.
Acquario di Genova, Ponte Spinola, Genoa, Metropolitan City of Genoa, Italy
Acquario di Genova
The Genoa Aquarium is the largest Italian aquarium, third in Europe, after that of Moscow, in Russia and that of Valencia, in Spain and the ninth in the world. It is located in Ponte Spinola, in the sixteenth-century ancient port of Genoa. Owned by Porto Antico di Genova SpA and managed by the company Costa Edutainment SpA, it was inaugurated in 1992 on the occasion of the Colombiadi, or rather the Expo celebrating the five hundredth anniversary of the discovery of America. The design of the structure and the neighboring area is by the architect Renzo Piano, the interior design was designed by the architect Peter Chermayeff. Subsequently it was extended several times. At the time of its inauguration it was the second largest aquarium in the world. From opening to 2014 it has been visited by over 25 million visitors, with an average of 1.2 million per year.
Basilica dei Fieschi, Piazza Innocenzo IV, Cogorno, Metropolitan City of Genoa, Italy
Basilica dei Fieschi
On the hill of San Salvatore di Cogorno in the hinterland of Lavagna along the Entella stream, stands the basilica of the Fieschi, one of the most important medieval monuments in eastern Liguria: the monumental complex within the "fliscano village" is erected in 1245 at the behest of Pope Innocent IV (Sinibaldo Fieschi) during the bitter struggle that saw him opposed to Frederick II.
To complete the construction in 1252, in the Romanesque-Gothic style, is his nephew Ottobono Fieschi, who will become Pope Hadrian IV. An inscription on the portal's lintel is reminiscent of the event. The basilica is granted important privileges, having been taken directly from the apostolic headquarters. Several buildings are linked to the basilica, including the bridge and the Magdalene hospital.
The church, in grey limestone, has a salient facade decorated with black and white bands at the top and lightened by a large marble rosette, decorated with a perforation. The central part is characterized by the entrance portal trumpeted with a sharp sixth with pseudoprotiro and bezel frescoed in the fifteenth century with Christ on the cross between Our Lady, St. John, Sinibald oil and Ottobono Fieschi.
The decoration in black and white bands is taken up in the wall above the triumphal arch, in the center square and on the counterface. The interior has a three-aisle plan punctuated by a double row of black stone columns with splint-cubic capitals on which the wooden roof is set, while the transept and the presbytery preserve stone ceilings with sail vaults.
Two medieval newsagents introduce to the two aisles, illuminated by a series of monophores. At the intersection of the central aisle with the transept rises the imposing bell tower (or nolare tower): the bell tower has a double order of quadforhours and is concluded by an octagonal cusp flanked by four pyramidal pinnacles. Characteristic of the churchyard performed with polychrome sea pebbles according to the typical Ligurian technique of "rissoi" flooring and decorated with circles and other geometric patterns.
The basilica is flanked by the Palace of the Fieschi: the two monuments, together with the Baroque oratory of San Salvatore the old and the remains of some sixteenth-century buildings, constitute an evocative scenery that every year revives the ancient splendours of the village 13 and 14 August: "Addiu du fantin" and "Pie of the Fieschi". An interesting cultural itinerary starts from the basilica and embraces all the churches of the municipality of Cogorno.
Santuario delle Grazie, Chiavari, Metropolitan City of Genoa, Italy
Santuario delle Grazie
The Shrine of Our Lady of The Graces of Chiavari is one of the most important Marian cult buildings in the area, overlooking the Ligurian coast, and clearly visible from the sea, thus also representing a reference point for local navigators.
It was founded, probably as a simple chapel in a wooded area and outside the Chiavarese town, at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries, and initially dedicated to Our Lady of Mercy.
The current building, on the other hand, dates back to the extension work carried out at the beginning of the fifteenth century, as a result of a notary act of 1416 that attests to its existence as a complete building. Further additions were made in 1663, 1839 and between 1952 and 1961, for conservative purposes.
Of great scenic impact, both on the outside and inside (here thanks to the cycles of frescoes made by Teramo Piaggio and Luca Cambiaso), the Sanctuary preserves many ex-vote of sailors and sailors, who the Virgin relied, and still do, for their travels .